Monday, October 22, 2007

.What the night operator told me


"So, I work nights." Says Dave, the late night operations engineer at the utility building. We've just met.
"Mostly, nothing special happens, I'll go weeks without seeing another soul on the job. But sometimes things get weird, y'know? Like two months ago. I was about to go for my smoke, when I see this kid, poking a tree with a stick. Just standin' there, poking it. I'm like, is he having a bad trip or somethin? Is he battling some sort of tree-rex?
Anyway, I phoned security, thought he might need some help. But I decided I'd be all brave and see what was up. I go out there with my smoke and ask him whats up. and he just looks at me funny and says
'I was studying, dude- in the tree. Look.' and I look up, and sure enough, there's a backpack on a branch. With a raccoon sitting on it. Apparently this kid saw this raccon coming for him and decided to give up the branch, but had second thoughts when he realized his textbooks were worth 300 dollars. So I start shaking the tree, and the raccoon goes higher, and sure enough the kid climbs the tree and gets his books. Then asked, him, well, what the hell are you doing studying in a tree at three am, anyway?
'you have to understand, dude,' the kid said, 'it's perfect focus up there. That tree is a study tree.'
and that," Dave says, finishing his cigarette, "is why I never could figure out you fine arts kids."
Happy Monday.

1 comment:

Desiree said...

Well now.. I think that's just adorable :D